[Enter PROTEUS and JULIA]
- Proteus. Have patience, gentle Julia.
- Julia. I must, where is no remedy.
- Proteus. When possibly I can, I will return.
- Julia. If you turn not, you will return the sooner.
Keep this remembrance for thy Julia's sake.
[Giving a ring]
- Proteus. Why then, we'll make exchange; here, take you this.
- Julia. And seal the bargain with a holy kiss.
- Proteus. Here is my hand for my true constancy;
And when that hour o'erslips me in the day
Wherein I sigh not, Julia, for thy sake,
The next ensuing hour some foul mischance
Torment me for my love's forgetfulness!
My father stays my coming; answer not;
The tide is now: nay, not thy tide of tears;
That tide will stay me longer than I should.
What, gone without a word?
Ay, so true love should do: it cannot speak;
For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it.
- Panthino. Sir Proteus, you are stay'd for.
- Proteus. Go; I come, I come.
Alas! this parting strikes poor lovers dumb.