Measure for Measure
• To print this text, click here
• To save this text, go to your browser's File menu, then select Save As
Act IV, Scene 6
Street near the city gate.
[Enter ISABELLA and MARIANA]
- Isabella. To speak so indirectly I am loath:
I would say the truth; but to accuse him so,
That is your part: yet I am advised to do it;
He says, to veil full purpose.
- Mariana. Be ruled by him.
- Isabella. Besides, he tells me that, if peradventure
He speak against me on the adverse side,
I should not think it strange; for 'tis a physic
That's bitter to sweet end.
- Mariana. I would Friar Peter—
- Isabella. O, peace! the friar is come.
[Enter FRIAR PETER]
- Friar Peter. Come, I have found you out a stand most fit,
Where you may have such vantage on the duke,
He shall not pass you. Twice have the trumpets sounded;
The generous and gravest citizens
Have hent the gates, and very near upon
The duke is entering: therefore, hence, away!