Measure for Measure
• To print this text, click here
• To save this text, go to your browser's File menu, then select Save As
Act IV, Scene 5
Fields without the town.
[Enter DUKE VINCENTIO in his own habit, and FRIAR PETER]
- Vincentio. These letters at fit time deliver me
The provost knows our purpose and our plot.
The matter being afoot, keep your instruction,
And hold you ever to our special drift;
Though sometimes you do blench from this to that,
As cause doth minister. Go call at Flavius' house,
And tell him where I stay: give the like notice
To Valentinus, Rowland, and to Crassus,
And bid them bring the trumpets to the gate;
But send me Flavius first.
- Friar Peter. It shall be speeded well.
- Vincentio. I thank thee, Varrius; thou hast made good haste:
Come, we will walk. There's other of our friends
Will greet us here anon, my gentle Varrius.