The Tragedy of King Lear
• To print this text, click here
• To save this text, go to your browser's File menu, then select Save As
Act V, Scene 2
A field between the two camps. Alarum within.
Enter, with Drum and Colours, the Powers of France over the stage, Cordelia with her Father in her hand, and exeunt. Enter Edgar and Gloucester.
- Edgar. Here, father, take the shadow of this tree
For your good host. Pray that the right may thrive.
If ever I return to you again,
I'll bring you comfort.
- Earl of Gloucester. Grace go with you, sir!
Alarum and retreat within. Enter Edgar,
- Edgar. Away, old man! give me thy hand! away!
King Lear hath lost, he and his daughter ta'en.
Give me thy hand! come on!
- Earl of Gloucester. No further, sir. A man may rot even here.
- Edgar. What, in ill thoughts again? Men must endure
Their going hence, even as their coming hither;
Ripeness is all. Come on.
- Earl of Gloucester. And that's true too. Exeunt.