Enter TOUCHSTONE and AUDREY
- Touchstone. We shall find a time, Audrey; patience, gentle Audrey.
- Audrey. Faith, the priest was good enough, for all the old
- Touchstone. A most wicked Sir Oliver, Audrey, a most vile Martext.
But, Audrey, there is a youth here in the forest lays claim to
- Audrey. Ay, I know who 'tis; he hath no interest in me in the
world; here comes the man you mean.
- Touchstone. It is meat and drink to me to see a clown. By my troth,
we that have good wits have much to answer for: we shall be
flouting; we cannot hold.
- Audrey. God ye good ev'n, William.
- William. And good ev'n to you, sir.
- Touchstone. Good ev'n, gentle friend. Cover thy head, cover thy
head; nay, prithee be cover'd. How old are you, friend?
- Touchstone. A fair name. Wast born i' th' forest here?
- William. Ay, sir, I thank God.
- Touchstone. 'So so' is good, very good, very excellent good; and
yet it is not; it is but so so. Art thou wise?
- William. Ay, sir, I have a pretty wit.
- Touchstone. Why, thou say'st well. I do now remember a saying: 'The
fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be
a fool.' The heathen philosopher, when he had a desire to eat a
grape, would open his lips when he put it into his mouth; meaning
thereby that grapes were made to eat and lips to open. You do
love this maid?
- Touchstone. Then learn this of me: to have is to have; for it is a
figure in rhetoric that drink, being pour'd out of cup into a
glass, by filling the one doth empty the other; for all your
writers do consent that ipse is he; now, you are not ipse, for I
- Touchstone. He, sir, that must marry this woman. Therefore, you
clown, abandon- which is in the vulgar leave- the society- which
in the boorish is company- of this female- which in the common is
woman- which together is: abandon the society of this female; or,
clown, thou perishest; or, to thy better understanding, diest;
or, to wit, I kill thee, make thee away, translate thy life into
death, thy liberty into bondage. I will deal in poison with thee,
or in bastinado, or in steel; I will bandy with thee in faction;
will o'er-run thee with policy; I will kill thee a hundred and
fifty ways; therefore tremble and depart.
- William. God rest you merry, sir. Exit
- Corin. Our master and mistress seeks you; come away, away.
- Touchstone. Trip, Audrey, trip, Audrey. I attend, I attend.