Antony and Cleopatra
• To print this text, click here
• To save this text, go to your browser's File menu, then select Save As
Act IV, Scene 7
Field of battle between the camps.
[Alarum. Drums and trumpets. Enter AGRIPPA]
- Agrippa. Retire, we have engaged ourselves too far:
Caesar himself has work, and our oppression
Exceeds what we expected.
[Alarums. Enter MARK ANTONY and SCARUS wounded]
- Scarus. O my brave emperor, this is fought indeed!
Had we done so at first, we had droven them home
With clouts about their heads.
- Antony. Thou bleed'st apace.
- Scarus. I had a wound here that was like a T,
But now 'tis made an H.
- Scarus. We'll beat 'em into bench-holes: I have yet
Room for six scotches more.
- Eros. They are beaten, sir, and our advantage serves
For a fair victory.
- Scarus. Let us score their backs,
And snatch 'em up, as we take hares, behind:
'Tis sport to maul a runner.
- Antony. I will reward thee
Once for thy spritely comfort, and ten-fold
For thy good valour. Come thee on.