[Enter CASSIO and some Musicians]
- Cassio. Masters, play here; I will content your pains;
Something that's brief; and bid 'Good morrow, general.'
- Clown. Why masters, have your instruments been in Naples,
that they speak i' the nose thus?
- Clown. Are these, I pray you, wind-instruments?
- Clown. O, thereby hangs a tail.
- Clown. Marry. sir, by many a wind-instrument that I know.
But, masters, here's money for you: and the general
so likes your music, that he desires you, for love's
sake, to make no more noise with it.
- Clown. If you have any music that may not be heard, to't
again: but, as they say to hear music the general
does not greatly care.
- Clown. Then put up your pipes in your bag, for I'll away:
go; vanish into air; away!
- Cassio. Dost thou hear, my honest friend?
- Clown. No, I hear not your honest friend; I hear you.
- Cassio. Prithee, keep up thy quillets. There's a poor piece
of gold for thee: if the gentlewoman that attends
the general's wife be stirring, tell her there's
one Cassio entreats her a little favour of speech:
wilt thou do this?
- Clown. She is stirring, sir: if she will stir hither, I
shall seem to notify unto her.
- Cassio. Do, good my friend.
In happy time, Iago.
- Iago. You have not been a-bed, then?
- Cassio. Why, no; the day had broke
Before we parted. I have made bold, Iago,
To send in to your wife: my suit to her
Is, that she will to virtuous Desdemona
Procure me some access.
- Iago. I'll send her to you presently;
And I'll devise a mean to draw the Moor
Out of the way, that your converse and business
May be more free.
- Cassio. I humbly thank you for't.
I never knew
A Florentine more kind and honest.
- Emilia. Good morrow, good Lieutenant: I am sorry
For your displeasure; but all will sure be well.
The general and his wife are talking of it;
And she speaks for you stoutly: the Moor replies,
That he you hurt is of great fame in Cyprus,
And great affinity, and that in wholesome wisdom
He might not but refuse you; but he protests he loves you
And needs no other suitor but his likings
To take the safest occasion by the front
To bring you in again.
- Cassio. Yet, I beseech you,
If you think fit, or that it may be done,
Give me advantage of some brief discourse
With Desdemona alone.
- Emilia. Pray you, come in;
I will bestow you where you shall have time
To speak your bosom freely.
- Cassio. I am much bound to you.