[Enter MISTRESS PAGE, MISTRESS QUICKLY, and WILLIAM PAGE]
- Hostess Quickly. Sure he is by this, or will be presently: but,
truly, he is very courageous mad about his throwing
into the water. Mistress Ford desires you to come suddenly.
- Mistress Page. I'll be with her by and by; I'll but bring my young
man here to school. Look, where his master comes;
'tis a playing-day, I see.
[Enter SIR HUGH EVANS]
How now, Sir Hugh! no school to-day?
- Mistress Page. Sir Hugh, my husband says my son profits nothing in
the world at his book. I pray you, ask him some
questions in his accidence.
- Mistress Page. Come on, sirrah; hold up your head; answer your
master, be not afraid.
- Hostess Quickly. Truly, I thought there had been one number more,
because they say, 'Od's nouns.'
- Hostess Quickly. Polecats! there are fairer things than polecats, sure.
- Sir Hugh Evans. You are a very simplicity 'oman: I pray you peace.
What is 'lapis,' William?
- Sir Hugh Evans. No, it is 'lapis:' I pray you, remember in your prain.
- Sir Hugh Evans. That is a good William. What is he, William, that
does lend articles?
- William Page. Articles are borrowed of the pronoun, and be thus
declined, Singulariter, nominativo, hic, haec, hoc.
- Sir Hugh Evans. Nominativo, hig, hag, hog; pray you, mark:
genitivo, hujus. Well, what is your accusative case?
- Sir Hugh Evans. I pray you, have your remembrance, child,
accusative, hung, hang, hog.
- Sir Hugh Evans. Leave your prabbles, 'oman. What is the focative
- Hostess Quickly. Vengeance of Jenny's case! fie on her! never name
her, child, if she be a whore.
- Hostess Quickly. You do ill to teach the child such words: he
teaches him to hick and to hack, which they'll do
fast enough of themselves, and to call 'horum:' fie upon you!
- Sir Hugh Evans. 'Oman, art thou lunatics? hast thou no
understandings for thy cases and the numbers of the
genders? Thou art as foolish Christian creatures as
I would desires.
- Sir Hugh Evans. Show me now, William, some declensions of your pronouns.
- Sir Hugh Evans. It is qui, quae, quod: if you forget your 'quies,'
your 'quaes,' and your 'quods,' you must be
preeches. Go your ways, and play; go.
- Mistress Page. He is a better scholar than I thought he was.
- Mistress Page. Adieu, good Sir Hugh.
[Exit SIR HUGH EVANS]
Get you home, boy. Come, we stay too long.