Enter BIONDELLO, LUCENTIO, and BIANCA; GREMIO is out before
- Biondello. Softly and swiftly, sir, for the priest is ready.
- Lucentio. I fly, Biondello; but they may chance to need the at
home, therefore leave us.
- Biondello. Nay, faith, I'll see the church a your back, and then
come back to my master's as soon as I can.
Exeunt LUCENTIO, BIANCA, and BIONDELLO
- Gremio. I marvel Cambio comes not all this while.
Enter PETRUCHIO, KATHERINA, VINCENTIO, GRUMIO, and ATTENDANTS
- Petruchio. Sir, here's the door; this is Lucentio's house;
My father's bears more toward the market-place;
Thither must I, and here I leave you, sir.
- Vincentio. You shall not choose but drink before you go;
I think I shall command your welcome here,
And by all likelihood some cheer is toward. [Knocks]
- Gremio. They're busy within; you were best knock louder.
[PEDANT looks out of the window]
- Pedant. What's he that knocks as he would beat down the gate?
- Pedant. He's within, sir, but not to be spoken withal.
- Vincentio. What if a man bring him a hundred pound or two to make
- Pedant. Keep your hundred pounds to yourself; he shall need none so
long as I live.
- Petruchio. Nay, I told you your son was well beloved in Padua. Do
you hear, sir? To leave frivolous circumstances, I pray you tell
Signior Lucentio that his father is come from Pisa, and is here
at the door to speak with him.
- Pedant. Thou liest: his father is come from Padua, and here looking
out at the window.
- Pedant. Ay, sir; so his mother says, if I may believe her.
- Petruchio. [To VINCENTIO] Why, how now, gentleman!
Why, this is flat knavery to take upon you another man's name.
- Pedant. Lay hands on the villain; I believe 'a means to cozen
somebody in this city under my countenance.
- Biondello. I have seen them in the church together. God send 'em
good shipping! But who is here? Mine old master, Vincentio! Now we
are undone and brought to nothing.
- Vincentio. [Seeing BIONDELLO] Come hither, crack-hemp.
- Vincentio. Come hither, you rogue. What, have you forgot me?
- Biondello. Forgot you! No, sir. I could not forget you, for I never
saw you before in all my life.
- Vincentio. What, you notorious villain, didst thou never see thy
master's father, Vincentio?
- Biondello. What, my old worshipful old master? Yes, marry, sir; see
where he looks out of the window.
- Vincentio. Is't so, indeed? [He beats BIONDELLO]
- Biondello. Help, help, help! Here's a madman will murder me.
- Pedant. Help, son! help, Signior Baptista! Exit from above
- Petruchio. Prithee, Kate, let's stand aside and see the end of this
controversy. [They stand aside]
Re-enter PEDANT below; BAPTISTA, TRANIO, and SERVANTS
- Tranio. Sir, what are you that offer to beat my servant?
- Vincentio. What am I, sir? Nay, what are you, sir? O immortal gods!
O fine villain! A silken doublet, a velvet hose, a scarlet cloak,
and a copatain hat! O, I am undone! I am undone! While I play the
good husband at home, my son and my servant spend all at the
- Tranio. How now! what's the matter?
- Tranio. Sir, you seem a sober ancient gentleman by your habit, but
your words show you a madman. Why, sir, what 'cerns it you if I
wear pearl and gold? I thank my good father, I am able to
- Vincentio. Thy father! O villain! he is a sailmaker in Bergamo.
- Baptista Minola. You mistake, sir; you mistake, sir. Pray, what do you
think is his name?
- Vincentio. His name! As if I knew not his name! I have brought him
up ever since he was three years old, and his name is Tranio.
- Pedant. Away, away, mad ass! His name is Lucentio; and he is mine
only son, and heir to the lands of me, Signior Vicentio.
- Vincentio. Lucentio! O, he hath murd'red his master! Lay hold on
him, I charge you, in the Duke's name. O, my son, my son! Tell
me, thou villain, where is my son, Lucentio?
- Tranio. Call forth an officer.
[Enter one with an OFFICER]
Carry this mad knave to the gaol. Father Baptista, I charge you
see that he be forthcoming.
- Gremio. Stay, Officer; he shall not go to prison.
- Gremio. Take heed, Signior Baptista, lest you be cony-catch'd in
this business; I dare swear this is the right Vincentio.
- Gremio. Nay, I dare not swear it.
- Tranio. Then thou wert best say that I am not Lucentio.
- Gremio. Yes, I know thee to be Signior Lucentio.
- Vincentio. Thus strangers may be hal'd and abus'd. O monstrous
Re-enter BIONDELLO, with LUCENTIO and BIANCA
- Biondello. O, we are spoil'd; and yonder he is! Deny him, forswear
him, or else we are all undone.
Exeunt BIONDELLO, TRANIO, and PEDANT, as fast as may be
- Lucentio. [Kneeling] Pardon, sweet father.
- Lucentio. Here's Lucentio,
Right son to the right Vincentio,
That have by marriage made thy daughter mine,
While counterfeit supposes blear'd thine eyne.
- Gremio. Here's packing, with a witness, to deceive us all!
- Vincentio. Where is that damned villain, Tranio,
That fac'd and brav'd me in this matter so?
- Bianca. Cambio is chang'd into Lucentio.
- Lucentio. Love wrought these miracles. Bianca's love
Made me exchange my state with Tranio,
While he did bear my countenance in the town;
And happily I have arrived at the last
Unto the wished haven of my bliss.
What Tranio did, myself enforc'd him to;
Then pardon him, sweet father, for my sake.
- Vincentio. I'll slit the villain's nose that would have sent me to
- Baptista Minola. [To LUCENTIO] But do you hear, sir? Have you married my
daughter without asking my good will?
- Vincentio. Fear not, Baptista; we will content you, go to; but I
will in to be revenged for this villainy. Exit
- Lucentio. Look not pale, Bianca; thy father will not frown.
Exeunt LUCENTIO and BIANCA
- Gremio. My cake is dough, but I'll in among the rest;
Out of hope of all but my share of the feast. Exit
- Katherina. Husband, let's follow to see the end of this ado.
- Petruchio. First kiss me, Kate, and we will.
- Katherina. No, sir; God forbid; but asham'd to kiss.
- Petruchio. Why, then, let's home again. Come, sirrah, let's away.
- Katherina. Nay, I will give thee a kiss; now pray thee, love, stay.
- Petruchio. Is not this well? Come, my sweet Kate:
Better once than never, for never too late. Exeunt