[Enter MARIANA and a Boy]
[p]Take, O, take those lips away,
[p]That so sweetly were forsworn;
[p]And those eyes, the break of day,
[p]Lights that do mislead the morn:
[p]But my kisses bring again, bring again;
[p]Seals of love, but sealed in vain, sealed in vain.
- Mariana. Break off thy song, and haste thee quick away:
Here comes a man of comfort, whose advice
Hath often still'd my brawling discontent.
[Enter DUKE VINCENTIO disguised as before]
I cry you mercy, sir; and well could wish
You had not found me here so musical:
Let me excuse me, and believe me so,
My mirth it much displeased, but pleased my woe.
- Vincentio. 'Tis good; though music oft hath such a charm
To make bad good, and good provoke to harm.
I pray, you, tell me, hath any body inquired
for me here to-day? much upon this time have
I promised here to meet.
- Mariana. You have not been inquired after:
I have sat here all day.
- Vincentio. I do constantly believe you. The time is come even
now. I shall crave your forbearance a little: may
be I will call upon you anon, for some advantage to yourself.
- Vincentio. Very well met, and well come.
What is the news from this good deputy?
- Isabella. He hath a garden circummured with brick,
Whose western side is with a vineyard back'd;
And to that vineyard is a planched gate,
That makes his opening with this bigger key:
This other doth command a little door
Which from the vineyard to the garden leads;
There have I made my promise
Upon the heavy middle of the night
To call upon him.
- Vincentio. But shall you on your knowledge find this way?
- Isabella. I have ta'en a due and wary note upon't:
With whispering and most guilty diligence,
In action all of precept, he did show me
The way twice o'er.
- Vincentio. Are there no other tokens
Between you 'greed concerning her observance?
- Isabella. No, none, but only a repair i' the dark;
And that I have possess'd him my most stay
Can be but brief; for I have made him know
I have a servant comes with me along,
That stays upon me, whose persuasion is
I come about my brother.
- Vincentio. 'Tis well borne up.
I have not yet made known to Mariana
A word of this. What, ho! within! come forth!
I pray you, be acquainted with this maid;
She comes to do you good.
- Vincentio. Do you persuade yourself that I respect you?
- Mariana. Good friar, I know you do, and have found it.
- Vincentio. Take, then, this your companion by the hand,
Who hath a story ready for your ear.
I shall attend your leisure: but make haste;
The vaporous night approaches.
- Mariana. Will't please you walk aside?
[Exeunt MARIANA and ISABELLA]
- Vincentio. O place and greatness! millions of false eyes
Are stuck upon thee: volumes of report
Run with these false and most contrarious quests
Upon thy doings: thousand escapes of wit
Make thee the father of their idle dreams
And rack thee in their fancies.
[Re-enter MARIANA and ISABELLA]
Welcome, how agreed?
- Isabella. She'll take the enterprise upon her, father,
If you advise it.
- Vincentio. It is not my consent,
But my entreaty too.
- Isabella. Little have you to say
When you depart from him, but, soft and low,
'Remember now my brother.'
- Vincentio. Nor, gentle daughter, fear you not at all.
He is your husband on a pre-contract:
To bring you thus together, 'tis no sin,
Sith that the justice of your title to him
Doth flourish the deceit. Come, let us go:
Our corn's to reap, for yet our tithe's to sow.