[Enter, from one side, LUCIUS, IACHIMO, and]
[p]the Roman Army: from the other side, the
[p]British Army; POSTHUMUS LEONATUS following,
[p]like a poor soldier. They march over and go
[p]out. Then enter again, in skirmish, IACHIMO
[p]and POSTHUMUS LEONATUS he vanquisheth and disarmeth
[p]IACHIMO, and then leaves him]
- Iachimo. The heaviness and guilt within my bosom
Takes off my manhood: I have belied a lady,
The princess of this country, and the air on't
Revengingly enfeebles me; or could this carl,
A very drudge of nature's, have subdued me
In my profession? Knighthoods and honours, borne
As I wear mine, are titles but of scorn.
If that thy gentry, Britain, go before
This lout as he exceeds our lords, the odds
Is that we scarce are men and you are gods.
[The battle continues; the Britons fly; CYMBELINE is]
taken: then enter, to his rescue, BELARIUS,
GUIDERIUS, and ARVIRAGUS]
- Belarius. Stand, stand! We have the advantage of the ground;
The lane is guarded: nothing routs us but
The villany of our fears.
- Guiderius. [with Arviragus] Stand, stand, and fight!
[Re-enter POSTHUMUS LEONATUS, and seconds the]
Britons: they rescue CYMBELINE, and exeunt. Then
re-enter LUCIUS, and IACHIMO, with IMOGEN]
- Caius Lucius. Away, boy, from the troops, and save thyself;
For friends kill friends, and the disorder's such
As war were hoodwink'd.
- Iachimo. 'Tis their fresh supplies.
- Caius Lucius. It is a day turn'd strangely: or betimes
Let's reinforce, or fly.