[CANIDIUS marcheth with his land army one way over]
[p]the stage; and TAURUS, the lieutenant of OCTAVIUS
[p]CAESAR, the other way. After their going in, is
[p]heard the noise of a sea-fight]
[Alarum. Enter DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS]
- Domitius Enobarus. Naught, naught all, naught! I can behold no longer:
The Antoniad, the Egyptian admiral,
With all their sixty, fly and turn the rudder:
To see't mine eyes are blasted.
- Scarus. Gods and goddesses,
All the whole synod of them!
- Scarus. The greater cantle of the world is lost
With very ignorance; we have kiss'd away
Kingdoms and provinces.
- Scarus. On our side like the token'd pestilence,
Where death is sure. Yon ribaudred nag of Egypt,—
Whom leprosy o'ertake!—i' the midst o' the fight,
When vantage like a pair of twins appear'd,
Both as the same, or rather ours the elder,
The breese upon her, like a cow in June,
Hoists sails and flies.
- Domitius Enobarus. That I beheld:
Mine eyes did sicken at the sight, and could not
Endure a further view.
- Scarus. She once being loof'd,
The noble ruin of her magic, Antony,
Claps on his sea-wing, and, like a doting mallard,
Leaving the fight in height, flies after her:
I never saw an action of such shame;
Experience, manhood, honour, ne'er before
Did violate so itself.
- Canidius. Our fortune on the sea is out of breath,
And sinks most lamentably. Had our general
Been what he knew himself, it had gone well:
O, he has given example for our flight,
Most grossly, by his own!
- Canidius. Toward Peloponnesus are they fled.
- Scarus. 'Tis easy to't; and there I will attend
What further comes.
- Canidius. To Caesar will I render
My legions and my horse: six kings already
Show me the way of yielding.
- Domitius Enobarus. I'll yet follow
The wounded chance of Antony, though my reason
Sits in the wind against me.